Sunday, February 1, 2015

Jonathan's first email from the Mexico City Missionary Training Center 12/24/14

Merry Christmas everyone! ¡Muy buenos dias!,

My week has been awesome! I'm at the CCM (in English it'd be the Missionary Training Center. It's sort of like a place I'm at for 6 weeks to learn Spanish, the Gospel of Jesus, and how to teach it)The it's so easy to feel the Spirit here. Even though there is always something going on (whether a class to go to or a chore to do at the bedroom), I feel peaceful here knowing that I'm doing the right thing by doing what the Lord wants me to do, and I know he'll help me because of it.

First things first, I know what the first question I'd ask me would be, so I'll just say it: The food here is great. Carne, flautas, pescado frito, Costco pizza (for some reason everyone's favorite), flan, etc. So good. No pozole yet though. I hgot such a kick out of one breakfast though. Me and my District (class of 9 other missionaries) sat down and all of them were like "What's this? How do we eat this?". And I was like "Don't worry elders. They're tamales. You unwrapped the outside part. Yes you can eat that part. It's called maza it's a corn thing". Most of them are from Utah, but one's from Texas and my companion is from a mystical land called Toronto, Canada (I see you smiling, Michael Garside). His name is Elder Turnbull and he's a hard worker. I can tell he wants to work to be the best missionary he can be, and I'm glad for that because it helps me work well too. Also, the beans here are super good. Like so good. And they're at almost every meal so that's awesome. I don't think I've had too much. My companion hasn't complained yet.

On that note the urinals are cool here. By you're right foot there's a pedal you press to flush it. I think those are way cooler than I probably should. I'm all about that hands free life.

My district is funny. One is from Texas as is obsessed with What-a-Burger because he works there. He gets mad that only a few people here have heard of it. he's also really obsessed with shaving the part in my hair. I'm going to let him cut my hair today, so we'll see how that goes.

Most of the day is spent either in classes or studying. We have classes about the Gospel, how to teach it by really caring for and loving the person you're talking to, and Spanish. We also got to teach an investigator (someone learning about the Church) three times this last week! In Spanish! It was a bit hard, but I've either realized I've had or gained enough Spanish to be able to hold on conversation. My companion and I taught him about how important prayer is, faith, the Book of Mormon, the Restoration and God can answer his questions and help him with his problems thourgh prayer. We also study a lot from the scriptures outside of class. 

I'd say more, but we can only spend so long emailing. I hope you're all having a great Christmas time! Remember the first gift of Christmas was the Savior and his Atonement and resurrection that make it possible for us to live with our Heavenly Father and our families forever after this life! You can share that gift by serving and loving others as Christ would!

Until next week!
- Elder Ybanez

No comments:

Post a Comment